The University of Kassel is a modern and growing University with round about 23.000 students. The university’s wide range of expertise covers subjects in the natural, applied, cultural and social sciences.
Faculty of Organic Agricultural Sciences, Section of Grassland Science and Renewable Plant Resources (Prof. Dr. Wachendorf), the following position is to be filled as soon as possible:
The junior research group, funded by the German Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF) aims to develop and investigate sustainable technology and utilization concepts for residual biomasses by converting them into high-quality activated carbon, platform chemicals and renewable energy carriers. This is intended to replace fossil raw materials with biogenic equivalents and at the same time contribute to the preservation and expansion of ecosystems. The junior research group comprises three PhD positions, two PostDoc positions and one technician positions at the University of Kassel. Within the framework of the junior research group, the position holder will work on the following topics:
- Identification of relevant residual biomasses without established usage competition
- processing of residual biomasses with innovative process chains for the generation of high-quality secondary raw materials for the production of activated carbon and platform chemicals
- Material and energetic utilization potentials of residual biomasses in a sustainable circular bioeconomy
- Independent scientific research activities in the field of material and energetic utilization of mainly grass and herbaceous residual biomasses from landscape management (including FFH areas, nature conservation areas, invasive species).
- Development and research of adapted treatment processes of residual biomasses for the generation of biogenic secondary raw materials for the production of biogenic activated carbons, platform chemicals and renewable energy sources.
- Planning, execution, and evaluation of experiments on the harvesting and processing of grassland biomass for its material utilization in the junior research group.
- Planning, execution, and evaluation of independent experiments to produce energy carriers (biogas and solid fuel) from residual biomasses in the laboratory and pilot plant facilities of the department.
- Determination of material properties, material and mass flows and process modeling
- Documentation, evaluation and assessment of the experimental results
- Preparation and presentation of new knowledge and the results of research work in international peer-reviewed journals and participation in scientific events
- Contribution to project reports
- University degree (Master) with at least good results in environmental engineering, chemical engineering, process engineering, biology, agricultural or environmental sciences or a related field. The required degree must be obtained by the recruitment date at the latest.
- Knowledge and experience or willingness to learn in the field of material and energetic utilization of residual biomasses.
- Knowledge and experience or willingness to become familiar with methods, especially for the determination of material, processing and product properties, as well as processes of agricultural biomass supply.
- A high level of interest in research and development of innovative technology concepts for the sustainable use of biogenic resources.
- Ability to link own research with the broader climate and sustainability context
- Thorough and independent working style.
- A high degree of organizational and teamwork skills
- High interdisciplinary willingness to learn and cooperate
- Good oral and written communication skills in German and English or willingness to learn the language
- Experience in the field of material and energetic utilization of residual biomasses.
- Scientific expertise, preferably demonstrated by a degree in a field of activity relevant to the junior research group
- Knowledge of statistical data analysis, ideally also experience in using script-based software (e.g. R or Python)
- Class B driver's license
- Experience in knowledge transfer and inter- or transdisciplinary collaboration
- Experience in the field of material flow analyses
- Knowledge and experience in conservation and management of extensive grasslands
- In-depth experience in laboratory work
For further information, please contact Dr.-Ing. Kaetzl, Tel.: +49 561 804-1242.
As an employee of the University of Kassel
- you will be offered an interesting and diverse range of tasks within the framework of a modern and ambitious university,
- you will be part of an interdisciplinary team with a good and collegial working atmosphere,
- you will have the opportunity to participate in professional and interdisciplinary further education measures,
- your workplace is centrally located in the city of Kassel with good public transport connections, which you can currently use for free.
In addition, you will benefit from the advantages of employment in the public service such as:
- an additional company pension (VBL),
- an optional child supplement in accordance with TV-Hessen, a family-friendly university (including childcare for emergencies),
- an annual bonus
- an entitlement to capital-accumulation benefits,
- a promotion of voluntary commitment,
- low-cost participation in university sports and a full range of fitness activities as part of Unifit, as well as workplace health management
You can find more jobs at stellen.uni-kassel.de
Please send your application with the usual informative documents, stating the reference number in the subject line, via the online form. We have compiled further information for you in our FAQ.
In exceptional cases, we will also accept your application documents in paper form addressed to: The President of the University of Kassel, 34109 Kassel, Germany, or via mail to bewerbungen[at]uni-kassel.de, stating the reference number.
In the case of postal applications, please submit only copies of your documents (no folders), as these cannot be returned. All documents will be destroyed after completion of the selection process in compliance with data protection regulations.
The protection of your personal information is very important to us, so we will handle your personal information with care. By your application, you allow us the storage and use in the sense of the Hessian Data Protection and Freedom of Information Act. You can object to this at any time. Your personal data will be deleted.
Information according to Art. 13 DSGVO for the application process at the University of Kassel can be found at:
Information and FAQ about applying for a job offer:
The University of Kassel is very interested in the professional satisfaction of its employees. It is distinguished as a family-friendly university and, in the interests of equal opportunities, strives to offer everyone the same opportunities for development and to counteract existing disadvantages. It promotes the Family Welcome Service and also the Dual Career Service for positions that are scientifically and academically filled. One of the strategic goals of the University of Kassel is to significantly increase the proportion of women in research and teaching. Applications from women are therefore particularly welcome. Seriously handicapped and equivalent applicants are given preference if they have the same suitability, qualifications and professional performance. Full-time positions are generally divisible (except when filling civil servant positions). Applications indicating the Position Number, which may be in digital form, should be sent to the President of the University of Kassel, 34109 Kassel, Germany quoting the applicable reference number.