The University of Kassel is a modern and growing University with round about 23.000 students. It has an extraordinary wide section with expertise of nature, technique, culture and society.
In the subject area Mathematics and natural sciences, Institute of Physics – research group Structural Molecular Dynamics (Prof. Dr. Jochen Mikosch), the following job vacancy is to be filled as soon as possible:
Research Assistant (m/f/d), EG 13 TV-H, temorary, full time (currently 40 working hours)
|Date of Hire:
as soon as possible
The position in initially until 31.05.2026 according to § 2 Abs. 1 WissZeitVG.
In our group we investigate the evolving structure in molecular and chemical dynamics on ultrafast timescales with methods adapted from attosecond (10-18s) science. Processes on these unprecedented timescales represent one of the major new frontiers in contemporary physics. We are offering a PhD project in physics dedicated to the experimental investigation of laser-driven electron rescattering in molecules. In this process, a single electron is extracted from a molecule by laser-induced tunnel ionization, accelerated in the strong infrared field of the laser and driven back to its origin within a fraction of the optical cycle, where it can elastically scatter. This self-imaged of a molecule by one of its own electrons is one of the most promising emerging techniques to make the molecular movie - capable of recording structural changes in molecules, for instance during a chemical reaction, in real time. The position is fully funded by the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (DFG). The experimental work involves a state-of-the-art Reaction Microscope to detect the momentum of photoions and -electrons in coincidence.
Further details can be found on our group website
- Experimental investigation of laser-driven electron rescattering in molecules with a reaction microscope
- Manipulation of femtosecond laser pulses, non-linear optics, intense and tailored laser fields and attosecond technologies
- Planning, preparation, and execution of scientific studies on (time-resolved) structural molecular and photochemical dynamics and the dynamics of molecules in intense and tailored laser fields
- Preparation and execution of scientific studies within collaborations, for instance at Advanced Lights Sources, such as FELs, active participation at beam times
- Data evaluation, interpretation, modelling, and the preparation of scientific publications
- Contribution to the teaching obligations of the research group
- Contribution to the public outreach of the working group and the communication of our science to the public
- Completed scientific university studies in Physics, Chemistry, Nanoscience, Photonics, or similar. The required degree must be available by the hiring date at the latest
- A thorough and self-sustained way of working
A high degree of organization and the ability to work in a team
For questions please contact Prof. Dr. Jochen Mikosch, phone: +49 561 804-4643, email: mikosch(at)uni-kassel.de.
As an employee of the University of Kassel
- you will be offered an interesting and diverse range of tasks within the framework of a modern and ambitious university,
- you will be part of an interdisciplinary team with a good and collegial working atmosphere,
- you will have the opportunity to participate in professional and interdisciplinary further education measures,
- your workplace is centrally located in the city of Kassel with good public transport connections, which you can currently use for free.
In addition, you will benefit from the advantages of employment in the public service such as:
- an additional company pension (VBL),
- an optional child supplement in accordance with TV-Hessen, a family-friendly university (including childcare for emergencies),
- an annual bonus
- an entitlement to capital-accumulation benefits,
- a promotion of voluntary commitment,
- low-cost participation in university sports and a full range of fitness activities as part of Unifit, as well as workplace health management.
You can find more jobs at stellen.uni-kassel.de
Please send your application with the usual informative documents, stating the reference number in the subject line, via the online form. We have compiled further information for you in our FAQ.
In exceptional cases, we will also accept your application documents in paper form addressed to: The President of the University of Kassel, 34109 Kassel, Germany, or via mail to bewerbungen[at]uni-kassel.de, stating the reference number.
In the case of postal applications, please submit only copies of your documents (no folders), as these cannot be returned. All documents will be destroyed after completion of the selection process in compliance with data protection regulations.
The protection of your personal information is very important to us, so we will handle your personal information with care. By your application, you allow us the storage and use in the sense of the Hessian Data Protection and Freedom of Information Act. You can object to this at any time. Your personal data will be deleted.
Information according to Art. 13 DSGVO for the application process at the University of Kassel can be found at:
Information and FAQ about applying for a job offer:
The University of Kassel is very interested in the professional satisfaction of its employees. It is distinguished as a family-friendly university and, in the interests of equal opportunities, strives to offer everyone the same opportunities for development and to counteract existing disadvantages. It promotes the Family Welcome Service and also the Dual Career Service for positions that are scientifically and academically filled. One of the strategic goals of the University of Kassel is to significantly increase the proportion of women in research and teaching. Applications from women are therefore particularly welcome. Seriously handicapped and equivalent applicants are given preference if they have the same suitability, qualifications and professional performance. Full-time positions are generally divisible (except when filling civil servant positions).
Applications indicating the Position Number, which may be in digital form, should be sent to the President of the University of Kassel, 34109 Kassel, Germany quoting the applicable reference number.